RAEng Research Fellowships
The Royal Academy of Engineering has launched their annual call for applications to their Fellowship Scheme, with a deadline of 24 September 2018. There is a limit on the number of candidates Oxford can put forward, so we are therefore launching an internal review process (internal deadline: 12noon Wednesday 8 August). Please check with your department for any departmental deadline ahead of this date.
The RAEng Research Fellowships are designed to promote excellence in engineering. They provide support for high-quality early career engineers to encourage them to develop successful academic research careers.
The RAEng is particularly keen to encourage applications from strong candidates who are considered to belong to a group that is persistently underrepresented within the engineering profession (e.g. gender or ethnicity).
Applications are welcomed from outstanding early career engineering researchers who are about to finish their PhD or have up to four years postdoctoral research experience prior to 24 September 2018 (maternity/paternity leave or other extenuating circumstances can be taken into consideration).
The scheme provides funding for five years to encourage the best researchers to remain in the academic engineering sector. In addition to the direct financial support, the scheme offers:
- freedom to concentrate on basic research in any field of engineering
- time to establish a track record in the field
- the services of a mentor (a Fellow of the Academy) to offer advice and to facilitate the formation of industrial links
- restrictions of teaching and administrative duties
Further information, including the eligibility criteria and guidance notes, can be found on the RAEng website from 2 July (once the call officially opens) (http://www.raeng.org.uk/grants-and-prizes/support-for-research/research-fellowships/raeng-research-fellowship)
Internal Selection Process
Oxford’s internal selection process will take place as follows:
- Applications should be made via the IRAMS online submission system (https://irams.ox.ac.uk/) by 12noon 31 July.
- Departments are asked to rank their applicants. Please check with your department for any internal departmental deadline to allow this ranking to take place.
- An internal multidisciplinary panel, chaired by the Associate Head of Division (Innovation & Industrial Liaison), will prioritise the proposals received. Outcomes will be announced by 1 September.
- The chosen applicants must then submit their final applications to the RAEng using their online application system by 24 September
Applications are to be made online via IRAMS (https://irams.ox.ac.uk/). You will need to upload the following documents:
- Application form - available here.
- CV (maximum three sides)
- A letter of support form your supervisor. This should make particular reference to the independence of the applicant from their group.
- The three documents will need to be merged into a single PDF file before uploading.
Advice for Applicants
The following has been noted by the selection panel in previous years as particularly important:
- Applications should make clear the novelty of the proposed research
- Proposals should be ambitious and detail a broader programme of work, rather than a project or a direct continuation of a PhD project
- Applicants whose research is not ‘classic’ engineering (e.g. computer science or medical imaging etc.) should stress the engineering side to their work
- Independence from your supervisor and/or group should be demonstrated
Any queries, please contact email@example.com