Congratulations to all those MPLS academics who have recently received awards or been appointed to significant positions. These include:
- Professor Marta Kwiatkowska (Computer Science), who has been awarded the Royal Society's Milner Award for her contribution to the theoretical and practical development of stochastic and quantitative model checking. The Milner Award, supported by Microsoft Research, is given annually for outstanding achievement in computer science by a European researcher. Professor Kwiatkowska is the first female winner of the award.
- Professor Peter Bruce FRS (Materials), who has been awarded the Royal Society's Hughes Medal for his distinguished work elucidating the fundamental chemistry underpinning energy storage.
- Professors Julia Yeomans (Physics) and Ulrike Tillmann (Mathematical Institute), who have been elected to serve on the Council of the Royal Society.
- Professor Tim Palmer (Physics), who has been elected a Foreign Member of the Italian Accademia dei Lincei (founded in 1603)
- Professor Paolo Radaelli (Physics) who was made a Cavaliere dell'Ordine della Stella d'Italia (Knight of the Order of the Star of Italy) by the President of the Italian Republic. This is roughly the equivalent of the OBE in the UK. See http://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/news/2017/07/17/prof-paolo-radaelli-awarded-the-cavaliere-dellordine-della-stella-ditalia
- Professor Nick Trefethen (Mathematical Institute) who was awarded the George Pólya Prize for Mathematical Exposition for the exceptionally well-expressed accumulated insights found in his books, papers, essays, and talks.