Funding - British Ecological Society - deadline 20 March
23 January 2018
Public Engagement - funding
BES define ecology as the scientific study of the distribution, abundance and dynamics of organisms, their interactions with other organisms and their physical environment. Applications should promote and engage the public with the science of ecology. Grants will not be awarded for purely nature conservation purposes or any activity that does not promote the science of ecology.
Supported projects are those that:
- Increase public understanding of, and engagement with, ecology
- Stimulate discussion about ecology and its implications for society
- Inspire and enthuse people of all ages about the science of ecology, especially those not previously interested
- Develop skills in communicating the science of ecology
Deadline: 17:00 (BST), Wednesday 21 March 2018
All project start dates will need to be after 120 May 2018.
Applications will be judged by a panel of reviewers against the following criteria, so therefore need to demonstrate:
- Consistency with at least two of this grant’s objectives
- Awareness of public interest and concerns, including the relevance to the target audience(s)
- Exploration of ecological concepts and issues, rather than simply providing information: specific information should be provided regarding the aspects of ecological science that the project aims to communicate. Projects should be based on sound scientific research
- Clear objectives for the project and its potential impact
- Evidence of appropriate means of publicity to reach the target audience
- The target audience/size of the audience that the event/initiative will reach, and the expected levels of engagement
- Clear plans and resources to assess the impact and legacy of the project
- Realistic costing and evidence that you can cover any shortfall in funding not covered by this grant or by other organisations
- Realistic assessment of practical issues such as copyright, insurance and health and safety
- Whether the activity depends on Society funding or that Society funding will add a significant element
All costs must be clearly justified within the budget section. Any costs that are not justified will not be considered. Please ensure all costs are clearly calculated in GBP (British Sterling).