Cumberland Lodge Fellowships, deadline 8 April
25 March 2022
Public Engagement - opportunity Public Engagement - training
Cumberland Lodge offers doctoral students in the UK a unique opportunity to benefit from a close association with our work and discussions for two years, including developing skills and networks around public and policy engagement.
The Cumberland Lodge Fellowship offers doctoral students who are firmly committed to promoting social progress the chance to set themselves apart, by deepening their understanding of pressing societal issues from a cross-sector perspective, and developing valuable skills in public engagement, networking, communication and interdisciplinary working.
The Fellowships are competitive, open to doctoral students enrolled on a doctoral programme (on either full or part-time basis), and is designed to fit around doctoral research.
As a fellow you have the opportunity to play an active role in their interdisciplinary conference, consultations, public lectures and other programmes, as well as receive mentoring and support from their staff.
This includes the chance to network with senior figures in public life and to participate in, or help to lead discussions with, people of all ages, backgrounds and perspectives that ultimately inform recommendations for practical action and policy change.
Ten fellows are selected each year, starting in September with a residential weekend.
There is a personal development grant up to £300 to support fellows through the two-year fellowship period.
Deadline to apply is noon on Friday 8 April.
To take part in our competitive application process, you must be able to demonstrate that you are:
- committed to promoting more peaceful, open and inclusive societies, through your academic research and/or other activities
- committed to enabling social progress
- studying for a doctorate at a UK university (in any academic discipline or area of study), for the duration of the Fellowship period* (expected completion not before June 2024)
- able to provide the names of two referees (one academic, i.e. your doctoral supervisor, and one non-academic) who will vouch for your eligibility and support your application
- able to attend the initial residential Fellows’ Retreat at Cumberland Lodge, on 9-11 September 2022
- committed to the full two-year programme (even if you complete your doctorate before August 2024).
You should also demonstrate an openness to working across disciplines and engaging with a wide range of subject matters, and explain how you think a Cumberland Lodge Fellowship will benefit your work and life, both now and in the future.
What to read next
17 February 2022
The annual MPLS Impact Awards aim to foster and raise awareness of impact by rewarding it at a local level, and preparing the ground for the impact case studies that will be needed for future REF and similar exercises. We welcome nomination of researchers at all career stages. There is a category for Public Engagement with Research.
22 April 2022
As part of UKRI ,the UK’s Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) and partners are pleased to announce this landmark symposium will be returning as a face-to-face event on Wednesday 14th September 2022 at Cardiff City Hall in partnership with Cardiff University.
3 Minutes, 1 Slide…..Your Thesis! An 80,000 word thesis would take 9 hours to present; how about in just 3 minutes with the aid of a single slide? DPhil students are invited to apply to take part. Training and prizes are available! Training and final will be held online.