Three MPLS researchers make it to the FameLab Regional Final, 7 March
5 March 2018
Public Engagement - news
Following talks as diverse as ‘How to build a mind,’ ‘Jungle remedies’ and ‘Scrambled flu and contagious eggs’, eight brave and brilliant performers have made it through to the final of the Oxford region’s FameLab UK competition, including two from Physics and a mathematics lecturer at St Hugh's.
Go along to the final on 7 March to cheer them along - or maybe just to get a taste of science communication, if you're looking for inspriration.
The eight finalists, who go through to the regional final on March 7th at The Bullingdon, are:
- Mubeen Goolam, a biologist at the University of Oxford who talked about ‘The Superhero of cells’
- Kirsten Lees, an environmental scientist at the University of Reading, who talked about ‘Can peatlands save the world’
- Tom Crawford, a maths tutor at St Hugh’s College, who wore a toga and talked about his favourite shapes.
- Rudin Petrossian-Byrne, a physicist at the University of Oxford who is studying the origins of dark matter and who asked the question ‘How do magnets talk?’
- James Eaton, a chemical biologist at the University of Oxford, who talked about ‘Finding drugs in nature’
- Bernadeta Dadonaite, a biologist at the University of Oxford who made it to the regional final in 2017, offered us ‘Vaccines served with scrambled flu and contagious eggs’.
- Mike Walmsley, an astrophysicist who studies galaxies and talked about ‘How to build a mind’ .
- Lucy Guile, a junior doctor currently based in Bristol, who described how a deadly plant has become a crucial part of modern surgery in ‘Jungle remedies.’
The Oxford heats took place over two nights and were hosted by Science Oxford. Twelve brave contestants took part, performing their three-minute skits in front of an audience and panel of judges that included BBC stargazer Chris Lintott and writer/broadcaster Georgina Ferry.
They will return for another round of sparkling FameLab science at our Oxfordshire Regional Final! Join judges Lucy Rogers and 2017 UK winner Kyle Evans, plus compere Rob Shalloo – and Alison Woollard will be entertaining the audience in the interval as the judges make their decision.
When? Wednesday 7th March
Where? The Bullingdon, Cowley Road, OX4 1UE
Want free tickets? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org