Microbiology Society Education and Outreach Grants, deadline 1 April and 3 October
8 March 2021
Public Engagement - funding
Grants of up to £1,000 are available to support relevant science teaching or promotion initiatives, or to support developments likely to lead to an improvement in the teaching of any aspect of microbiology.
The grants are available to Full, Full Concessionary and Postgraduate Student Members of the Microbiology Society.
Deadlines are 1 April and 3 October.
Activities as part of organisation open days or UCAS days will not be eligible for funding.
Funds may be used for the purchase of consumable materials, but not capital equipment (i.e. core equipment over £5,000 in value). Funds may also be used to provide payment to a student providing short-term assistance in the development of the activity (e.g. vacation employment of an undergraduate, or exceptionally a postgraduate after expiry of studentship).
Applications are reviewed against the following criteria:
- The project is relevant to microbiology
- The project has clear aims that are realistically achievable in the proposed time frame
- The activity is clearly described and technically feasible
- The project is innovative and/or timely
- There is clear benefit to the target audience
- The applicant, and any support staff, has the required expertise to support the project through to successful completion
- The evaluation methods are adequately described and appropriate
- The project has sustainability
- Full and reasonable costings are given
What to read next
18 February 2021
This series of workshops is designed for researchers and facilitators working in knowledge exchange and public engagement with research and looks beyond running virtual events, to exploring how deeper engagement, such as facilitating debate, dialogue events and participatory processes, can be run online
3 February 2021
This Online Sharing Forum will provide an opportunity for researchers and engagement practitioners to share, learn and develop your own ideas for tools and approaches that can be used to evaluate virtual festivals and online Public Engagement with Research events. Deadline to register: 19 March.
7 January 2021
The British Ecological Society offer grants up to £2,000 to encourage and support their members to promote ecological science to wider audience.