Microbiology Society Education and Outreach Grants, deadline 10 April and 2 October
21 February 2022
Public Engagement - funding
Grants of up to £1,000 are available to support relevant science teaching or promotion initiatives, or to support developments likely to lead to an improvement in the teaching of any aspect of microbiology.
The grants are available to Full, Full Concessionary and Postgraduate Student Members of the Microbiology Society.
Deadlines are 10 April and 2 October.
Activities as part of organisation open days or UCAS days will not be eligible for funding.
Funds may be used for the purchase of consumable materials, but not capital equipment (i.e. core equipment over £5,000 in value). Funds may also be used to provide payment to a student providing short-term assistance in the development of the activity (e.g. vacation employment of an undergraduate, or exceptionally a postgraduate after expiry of studentship).
Applications are reviewed against the following criteria:
- The project is relevant to microbiology
- The project has clear aims that are realistically achievable in the proposed time frame
- The activity is clearly described and technically feasible
- The project is innovative and/or timely
- There is clear benefit to the target audience
- The applicant, and any support staff, has the required expertise to support the project through to successful completion
- The evaluation methods are adequately described and appropriate
- The project has sustainability
- Full and reasonable costings are given
What to read next
17 February 2022
The annual MPLS Impact Awards aim to foster and raise awareness of impact by rewarding it at a local level, and preparing the ground for the impact case studies that will be needed for future REF and similar exercises. We welcome nomination of researchers at all career stages. There is a category for Public Engagement with Research.
15 March 2022
The Oxfordshire Play Association is inviting researchers with fun hands-on activities to attend their 'playdays'. If you have an activity appropriate for primary aged and pre-school aged children then get in touch!
8 February 2022
The Vice-Chancellor’s Innovation & Engagement Awards will recognise and celebrate the wide range of ways in which research undertaken at the University of Oxford makes a positive difference to the economy, the environment, and society.