NERC Engaged Environmental Science, deadline 20 Sept
26 June 2023
Public Engagement - funding
NERC is offering up to £800k for exemplar projects that demonstrate excellence in engaged environmental science research (with bursary to develop equitable public partnerships). They are looking to fund three exemplar projects that demonstrate excellence in engaged environmental science research.
Engaged environmental science: public engagement with environmental science research to move from environmental diagnosis to environmental cure
NERC are offering funding to support engaged research. They welcome:
- environmental science research responding to both scientific and public needs
- equitable partnerships with charities and other intermediaries (with bursary of up to £50,000 to involve partners and co-produce proposals)
- leaders in engaged research
Engaged research is conducted with, by and for members of the public and public intermediaries, over any or all stages of a research process, from co-creating research objectives and plans; to collaborating on research delivery to sharing outcomes of research.
- plan, deliver and evaluate engaged environmental science research and innovation that delivers both high quality environmental scientific research outputs and outcomes and high-quality public engagement, to address a significant environmental science question
- create or develop relevant, sustainable, and equitable research partnerships and research strategies between members of the public or public intermediaries and research and researchers
- foster engaged research leadership in the environmental science community and civil society. Research Leadership Team members will champion and raise the profile of engaged research methodologies as part of a scientific team’s toolkit for delivering impactful, quality research and build the profile and capacity to engage relevant members of the public and public intermediaries
You must be based at a UK research organisation eligible for NERC funding.
The maximum cost of your project can be up to £800,000. NERC will fund 80% of the full economic cost, with exceptions.
This is the outline application stage of the funding opportunity.
Deadline for applications is 4pm on 20 September.
What to read next
21 April 2023
Dr Sam Illingworth has written a useful guide for researchers who are interested in doing community engagement. It includes good tips and case studies to inspire meaningful community engagement as well as strategies for measuring impact of community engagement efforts.
2 June 2023
This resource has been created to help researchers do really high quality, thoughtful, inclusive and responsible participatory research. The resource includes key considerations, helpful guidance and inspiring case studies.
The British Ecological Society offer this three month Parliamentary Office for Science and Technology fellowship for their members (who are studying for a PhD) to gain an insider’s view of how Parliament works.