Public Engagement Masterclass (Virtual), 19-21 July
15 March 2021
Public Engagement - training
The Wellcome Genome Campus Public Engagement Masterclass supports researchers from all disciplines who want to embed public engagement as a leadership quality in their career portfolio.
The 2021 Masterclass will reflect on a year of significant transformation. The rationale for why and how we build connections between research and communities has never been more important, and will underpin the narrative for this 2021 PE Masterclass.
This very participative programme, facilitated by leading UK and European engagement specialists will feature a mix of expert insights, inspirational case studies, practical sessions and bespoke support for every delegate to craft a personalised public engagement plan.
The course will start on Monday 19 July and close on Wednesday 21 July 2021 (start and finish times tbc).
The programme will include:
- Engaging different communities with research, examining contexts, partners and audiences
- Fostering diversity and inclusion and actively challenging unconscious bias and discrimination
- Embedding public engagement in research projects and grants and considering the changing opportunities from major research funders
- Evaluating public engagement, setting outcomes and measuring change
- Developing a bespoke engagement plan for your context, thinking from research team to wider institutional level
- Leadership and advocacy, exploring the channels for change within your research group, project or field
Additional resources will be available to participants in a dedicated course slack channel.
Course fee: £150
A limited number of bursaries covering 50% of the costs are available (deadline to apply 18 May).
This course is aimed at researchers rather than public engagement or science communication professionals. Applicants must be active researchers (PhDs students, postdoctoral researchers level or above) at a research institute or higher education institution. The course is open to researchers from all disciplines.
What to read next
Science Communication Online Building Blocks - Engaging Participants in Online and Blended Environments
18 February 2021
Join UWE Bristol’s Science Communication Unit for a three-part online training session to improve your confidence, knowledge and enjoyment of these possibly unfamiliar spaces of engagement.
19 February 2021
Sense about Science are running a free online workshop for early career researchers (ECRs) as part of our Voice of Young Science network, and aims to encourage ECRs to make their voices heard in public debates about science.
3 February 2021
This Online Sharing Forum will provide an opportunity for researchers and engagement practitioners to share, learn and develop your own ideas for tools and approaches that can be used to evaluate virtual festivals and online Public Engagement with Research events. Deadline to register: 19 March.