Public Engagement Masterclass, Wellcome Genome Campus, 8-10 July
25 February 2019
Public Engagement - training
The programme will cover the context for public engagement with research, in the UK and further across Europe, and will provide knowledge and tools required to make tangible interventions in local and institutional settings. A major focus will be on methods and enablers to bring high-quality public engagement to the heart of a successful research leader.
The residential nature of the course, enriched by a family of course mentors, provides flexible and ‘offline’ opportunities to talk on specific challenges and reflect on personal contexts and plans. Delegates will come from a diverse range of disciplines and European settings, making for rich networking and experience sharing.
The course will start at 12 noon on Monday 8 July and close at 15.00 on Wednesday 10 July 2019.
Following attendance at the course, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the breadth of activities incorporated within ‘public engagement’ and be able to identify specific methods and approaches of relevance to own research setting
- Identify the most relevant audience(s) for their research and understand how to engage with them effectively
- Evaluate their public engagement activity, and demonstrate research impact
- Develop a strategic approach for public engagement within their research project/programme
- Advocate for broader institutional culture change towards PE
Cost: £502* - This is a residential course and the fee includes all accommodation and meals.
*The course fee is subsidised by Wellcome Genome Campus Advanced Courses and Scientific Conferences.
A number of bursaries are available. Bursary deadline - 16 April.
What to read next
The National Coordinating Centre for Public Engagement offers this professional development programme for early to mid-career level researchers with a passion for public engagement.
The Royal Society are offering two sessions for researchers: 'an introduction to public engagement' (12 March, 10am to 3pm), and 'Engaging with schools' (21 March, 10am to 5pm) in London.
29 January 2019
An event for those new to evaluating public engagement with research, taking place 09.30am - 11.30am at the Saïd Business School.