Science Communication Masterclass, 14-17 June 2021, online
27 April 2021
Public Engagement - training
The University of the West of England's Bristol's Science Communication (SCU) Masterclass is an intensive, short course (four days) created to provide professional development in science communication.
The masterclass draws on the existing expertise of the team that delivers the University's popular and practical MSc in Science Communication.
The course will be delivered online, 14-17 June 2021.
The Masterclass has been designed for those with little or no experience in the field of science communication and would be suitable for practising scientists wishing to enhance the public engagement element of their research, science graduates interested in science communication or those seeking a career change, scientists/teachers of science seeking continuing professional development and people working in Research Councils with a communication element to their role.
Topics for the Masterclasses
- The historical and social contexts of science communication
- Scientific literacy and public understanding
- Publics and engagement
- Face-to-face, media and online methods of engaging with the public
Interactive parallel sessions
- Adapting to audiences
- Engaging participants in online and blended environments
- Evaluating projects
- Honing your science writing
- Project mixer - During an interactive session, delegates will have an opportunity to present creative ideas, products and examples, either from their own organisation and workplace. This will be followed by five minutes for questions and feedback from your peers and tutors.
- Social media for science communication
- Thinking strategically about science communication and engagement
Course fee is £800 (concessionary fees are available if you meet certain criteria).
This course runs annually.
What to read next
26 April 2021
The National Coordinating Centre for Public Engagement's 9 month professional development programme, the Engage Academy, is designed for those working to support and change the culture around public engagement. This programme will be delivered online.
13 April 2021
Each term we provide a selection of free courses to help you think about and plan high quality engagement. This term, all training will be provided online. All courses are open to DPhils and researchers at all levels, for MPLS and MSD divisions.
30 March 2021
The Departmental PER Seed Fund is an internal grant scheme offering £1,500 to £4,000 to support building capacity for Public Engagement with Research (PER) at the departmental level.