STFC Public Engagement Early Career Forum, apply now, deadline 3 June 2021
27 April 2021
Public Engagement - training
The STFC Public Engagement Early-Career Researcher Forum (the 'PEER Forum') supports talented scientists and engineers in the early stages of their career to develop their public engagement and outreach goals.
This ensures the next generation of STFC scientists and engineers continue to deliver the highest quality of purposeful, audience-driven public engagement.
Why join the PEER Forum?
- To learn practical skills on how to lead public engagement activities, giving you a more rewarding career
- For support and expertise from the wide ranging network of academics and public engagement professionals within the STFC community
- To enhance your reputation within the scientific community and give you the opportunity to boost the profile of your work by talking to a wider audience
- Have completed (or currently studying for – including apprentices and PhD students) their highest level of academic qualification within the last ten years (not including any career breaks)
- Are employed at a Higher Education Institute, or a research-intensive Public Sector Research Organisation or Research Laboratory (including STFC’s own national laboratories)
- Work within a science and technology field in STFC’s remit, or with a strong inter-disciplinary connection to STFC’s remit, or use an STFC facility to enable their own research
The PEER Forum will meet twice a year to share learning and to participate in sessions that will strengthen the depth and breadth of their understanding of public engagement and outreach.
Application is a one-stage process. Application includes sending your CV, a letter of support from your line manager/supervisor, and answers to some assessment questions.
The 2021 call for applications to the PEER Forum will close at 16:00 on 3 June 2021.
What to read next
20 April 2021
These grants provide up to £15k to support programmes of novel public engagement that focus on a topic within the council’s remit or align to the science and technology work of the council’s national and international laboratories and facilities.
1 December 2020
Up to £5,000 is available to support quick-responses for timely projects e.g., that are responding to unexpected and/or highly significant discoveries, or significantly heightened awareness of the social, cultural, or economic impacts of STFC science and technology.
8 March 2021
The Science and Technology Facilities Council invites applications for its public engagement legacy awards that provide up to £50,000 to enable STFC grant-funded public engagement programmes to continue to grow and evolve over time based on learning and evaluation.