STFC Public Engagement Early-Career Researcher Forum Call for Applications, deadline 3 June
13 May 2019
Public Engagement - opportunity Public Engagement - training
The STFC Public Engagement Early-Career Researcher Forum (the 'PEER Forum') will support talented scientists and engineers in the early stages of their career to develop their public engagement and outreach goals, to ensure the next generation of STFC scientists and engineers continue to deliver the highest quality of purposeful, audience-driven public engagement.
PEER Forum aims
* To foster peer learning and peer support between early career scientists and engineers with a passion for public engagement and outreach.
* To improve understanding of the support STFC provides for public engagement and outreach (including funding mechanisms, evaluation, and reporting) and how to successfully utilise this support.
* To stimulate discussions that help to develop and influence STFC's approaches to public engagement.
What will participation in the Forum involve?
Participants in the PEER Forum will meet face-to-face at least twice per year to share learning and to participate in session that will strengthen the depth and breadth of their understanding of public engagement and outreach.
Who can apply to join the Forum?
The PEER Forum is for practising early-career scientists and engineers who have an ambition to carry out excellent public engagement alongside, and complimentary to, their career in science or engineering. We are seeking Forum members from across the breadth of STFC's pure and applied science and technology remit.
The specific personal requirements of PEER Forum membership are that members:
* Have completed their highest level of academic qualification within the last ten years (not including any career breaks)
* Are employed at a Higher Education Institute, or a research-intensive Public Sector Research Organisation or Research Laboratory (including STFC's own national laboratories)
* Work within a science and technology field in STFC's remit, or with a strong inter-disciplinary connection to STFC's remit, or use an STFC facility to enable their own research
* Demonstrate a highly credible track record of experience in their field, corresponding to the length of their career to date
* Demonstrate a highly credible track record of leading and delivering public engagement or outreach
* Are keen communicators with a willingness to contribute to the success of a UK-wide network
For details on how to apply please go to STFC's website, deadline 3 June.
What to read next
5 April 2019
A free training day for anyone involved in astronomy and geophysics.
3 April 2019
Are you a physical or life scientist or do you engage with STFC or use STFC facilities and doing outreach, public engagement and science communication? If so then the Interact symposium is for you! This is a one day opportunity for you to share your experiences, gain new skills, learn new ways to engage with your audiences, gain practical experience and see what else is out there that can help you develop and deliver high quality engagement.
2 April 2019
Are you involved in developing school-university partnerships? Join NCCPE for a one-day course using their tools to hone your skills and explore the perspectives of all those involved.