Navigator Development Programme for Men
Navigator is a personal and professional development programme for men, designed to help you take control and make good decisions in life and work. If you are looking for change, this is an opportunity for you to take ownership and shape the change you want. You can expect to:
- Assess your skills and competencies
- Explore what is important for you in your life and work, make decisions and take action
- Set goals and plan the future direction of your life and career
- Build confidence and resilience
- Build connections and communities for support
- Develop skills to build productive relationships, develop your profile and progress your career
Navigator runs over four full day workshops each 3-4 weeks apart.
If you accept a place on the programme you are expected to attend all four workshops in full. To secure your place you will be asked to pay a small deposit which will be refunded if you complete the programme.
You will also be provided with a workbook which provides an opportunity for you to reflect on (and perhaps discuss with others) the areas you wish to work on. The workbook remains yours to keep and refer back to even if you don’t complete the course. See the ‘How to apply’ section below for further details
Please also read the frequently asked questions.
It’s important to point out that you are expected to take responsibility for your own outcomes. The programme itself will not provide answers or solutions, but will support you in finding your own. Remember that what you get out of the programme will relate directly to your commit and engagement.
Therefore before applying for a place on the course please consider carefully if this approach will suit your aims and style of learning, or if perhaps you need a different kind of support.
Please note that the programme is self-nominating so you should only apply for a place if it is something you have chosen to do yourself.
In addition to these two programmes the division and the University provide a range of open personal and professional development provision. Please see details in the divisional course programme, from other training providers in the University, and details on the Training and Support from University Services page.
Testimonials from Past Participants
- I think that one of the big messages I took from the course, due in part to the speakers, was that taking responsibility yourself for career decisions is really the only choice.
- It’s been a good eye-opener for me and has resulted in my experimenting with different approaches to work and decision making.
- I have already achieved a healthier work/life balance and I have begun to develop a strategy to fulfil my long-term goals.
- I have learned to work on my interpersonal skills and to recognize both positive and not so positive aspects of those skills and ways to deal with it.
- All the transferable skills we have worked on in the course are of great value for successful career development.
Male graduate research students in their second year and above, and postdoctoral researchers and contract research staff.
Number of Places
Richard Lamb, Licensed Navigator Trainer
Trinity Term 2019: (all Fridays)
3rd May 2019, 9.30 - 16.30
24th May 2019, 9.30 - 16.30
14th June 2019, 9.30 - 16.30
5th July 2019, 9.30 - 16.30
B1, B2, B3, D1
The Researcher Development Framework (RDF) provides a framework for planning and supporting the personal, professional and career development of graduate students and research staff. See the the following for more details:
The Researcher Development Framework page
The Researcher Training Tool (click on Researcher Development)
Vitae (Vitae is a national organisation dedicated to realising the potential of researchers through supporting their professional and career development.)
To apply for a place on the Trinity Term 2019 programme, please download and complete the application form. Completed forms should be returned to email@example.com. Your application will be acknowledged, but please note that places will not be allocated until nearer the time of the course.
When registering for this course, please check our Terms and Conditions.