Leadership in Action
Leadership in Action is designed to help researchers understand more about leadership and to prepare them to lead. The 2018 programme will be delivered jointly for MPLS and Social Sciences researchers.
Leadership in Action 2018 is being delivered jointly between the MPLS and the Social Sciences Divisions. This will provide you with valuable opportunities to meet and work with researchers from a range of departments and disciplines.
The course involves:
- Input on different approaches to leadership
- Applied learning rather than lectures
- An opportunity for all participants to lead a group project
- Support and feedback on your leadership style
- Working with researchers from other departments and the Social Sciences division
The course will help you to:
- Reflect on the meaning of leadership and its importance
- Increase your awareness of different leadership styles and discover your own
- Understand how leaders impact others
- Identify how you can use leadership skills in your current role and beyond
You will be expected to attend the whole course in full, and if you are offered and accept a place on the course you will be asked to pay a refundable deposit of £50.
Research staff employed on a research contract or fellowship in the MPLS or Social Sciences Divisions
number of places
18 per division
Dr Justin Hutchence, Researcher Training and Development Manager, MPLS Division
Date / time
Tuesday 11th - Thursday 13th September 2018 inclusive
Each day runs from 9am - 5pm
A2, A3, B1,B3, D1
The Researcher Development Framework (RDF) provides a framework for planning and supporting the personal, professional and career development of graduate students and research staff. See the the following for more details:
The Researcher Development Framework page
The Researcher Training Tool (click on Researcher Development)
Vitae (Vitae is a national organisation dedicated to realising the potential of researchers through supporting their professional and career development.)
Please note that if you are offered and accept a place on the course, you will be asked to pay a refundable deposit of £50.