You and Your Supervisor
All Communications DPhil students
Monday, 01 March 2021, 10am to 3pm
This online course provides information and introduces strategies to enable DPhil students to approach their supervisory relationship pro-actively and effectively
This course will be delivered online.
The course will help students to:
- Source and make use of University, divisional and departmental rules, regulations and other formal information about the supervisory relationship
- Recognise the division of responsibility between themselves and their supervisor
- Take responsibility for their side of the relationship
- Practice skills and strategies to manage relationships effectively
- Access other sources of help and support if they experience problems with the supervisory relationship
The supervisory relationship is key to the success of your DPhil and we know that positive and effective relationships contribute to the timely completion of the doctorate. As with many things, the more you put into the relationship with your supervisor, the more you will benefit from it. There is much you can do to be proactive and play and active role in the relationship.
The course will cover:
- Where to find key information about guidance and the responsibilities within the supervisory relationship, including rules and regulations
- Who is responsible for what
- Skills and strategies for managing relationships effectively
- Where to go for help if you experience problems.
All DPhil students, primarily those in the early stages of their doctorate
When registering for this course, please check our Terms and Conditions.