MPLS ED&I Fellows 2022-23 - Call for applications
Are you passionate about equality, diversity and inclusion?
Are you keen to make real positive change within MPLS and the University?
The MPLS Division strives to create an inclusive culture where different perspectives and experiences are encouraged, and each person is respected and treated fairly, so that individuals of all backgrounds can fully contribute their talents to our scientific community.
We recognise that there are incredibly talented individuals across the Division who are passionate about equality, diversity and inclusion (ED&I) and are dedicated to making positive change within our institution. To garner this energy and support this work, we are pleased to announce for the third year our ED&I Fellowships for 2022-2023 to work alongside our divisional ED&I team and ED&I Steering Group (which includes academic, professional services and student representatives across our departments) to help inform and implement our 2020-2023 ED&I action plan.
We are looking for enthusiastic and proactive researchers (including DPhils and postdocs) and professional service staff members – specifically those with experience, knowledge or interest in issues of racial justice, mental health and disability, LGBT+ equality, and/or gender equality – and their intersections. You can meet our previous ED&I Fellows here.
Fellows will receive an honorarium of £1000 which will be available in a departmental cost code to be used for personal and professional development. This will be an excellent opportunity to meet, work with and learn from other dedicated colleagues in the Division, and make a contribution to our ED&I activities.
The role involves the following responsibilities:
- Participate in our ED&I Steering Group meetings – official general meetings once per term (planned hybrid meetings, dates to be confirmed), and optional informal meetings once per term focused on specific topics for in-depth discussion.
- Help implement the divisional ED&I action plan by providing input and ideas, and contributing to specific actions, initiatives or work packages of interest to you.
- Consult with relevant groups within the Division and University as needed to advance our ED&I activities (e.g. researcher committees, staff networks and advisory groups, etc.).
- Meet with the cohort of ED&I Fellows, the MPLS Associate Head for People and the MPLS ED&I Manager/Coordinator once per term to discuss ideas, progress and any issues arising.
- Raise awareness of ED&I principles and activities within your local environments, and commit to enhancing self-awareness and learning in ED&I areas.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in joining us as an ED&I Fellow, please submit an expression of interest including your CV and a supporting statement which answers the questions below to email@example.com by 22 July 2022. The MPLS Associate Head for People, MPLS ED&I Manager and Divisional Registrar will review and select the new representatives. (Depending on the number of applications received, a short informal conversation may be arranged to discuss the role further.)
For your supporting statement (up to 500 words; bullet points are fine), please include information addressing the following:
- Why you are interested in serving as an ED&I Fellow and what you hope to contribute or ideas that you currently have.
- Describe any ED&I related experience and/or knowledge that you can bring to the role. You may wish to include examples from work, study, volunteering or lived experiences.
- Any connections you have with internal or external groups or networks that would be useful for the role (e.g. postdoc networks, professional societies, etc.).
If you have any questions, please contact Jo Knights, MPLS ED&I Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.