EPSRC Impact Acceleration Account
EPSRC Impact Acceleration Account (IAA) funding provides support for activities that will help to accelerate the impact from past, current or future research that falls within the EPSRC remit.
The University of Oxford has additional funding for its EPSRC Impact Acceleration Account. A new EPSRC IAA call is open for grant support to Oxford’s EPSRC IAA Impact Workshops/Meetings; the call for Technology Fund, Partnerships Fund and Doctoral Impact Fund has now closed. The IAA has over £600k available to allocate to grants from 1 January 2021 to 31 March 2022.
EPSRC IAA Funding Call for Impact Workshops/Meetings - is open.
Implications of the Covid-19 pandemic: Applicants should ensure they have factored in the impact of the Covid pandemic when they plan their projects, e.g. due to restrictions on people movement, or limited access to facilities or resources. Applicants should be aware that while the IAA wants closer engagement with non-academic partners, and end users to be interested in the end-product, applicants will need to consider that non-academic partners may have limited time and funds to fully engage with IAA projects, and travel to partners outside the UK maybe challenging.
New DPhil graduates and Early Career Researchers (ECRs) are strongly encouraged to apply to the IAA to gain new skills or experience beyond the academic environment, to progress the impact of their research beyond academia, or support partnerships with non-academic organisations, e.g. in industry, healthcare, governmental agencies, local and regional government and other external organisations. For guidance, support and feedback email email@example.com or contact (2)82462.
IAA staff are happy to review and provide feedback on draft applications prior to final submission. Please submit your request in advance of the application deadline to firstname.lastname@example.org
DATES FOR EPSRC IAA FUNDING CALLS:
Partnerships Fund, Impact/Technology Fund, Doctoral Impact Fund, Impact Workshops Fund calls:
- Call closed (with the exception of Impact Workshops): 7 December 2020
- Application deadline*: by 16:00, Thursday, 4 February 2021
- Panel meetings: w/c 15 February 2021
Projects to commence on, or after March 2021, and must end by 31 March 2022.
[*The panel may consider an application out of round, if there is urgency or an exceptional reason/opportunity, however, the IAA cannot provide bridge funding support. Applications out of round need prior approval, for consideration email email@example.com ]
Rolling Deadline: In addition to the above calls IRAMS will continue to accept new applications for Impact Workshops/Meetings, until 30 November 2021 or all of the available funding has been allocated.
Applicants to the IAA are urged to engage users in their projects, if this is not the case, applicants must contact the IAA before submitting an application - firstname.lastname@example.org
Oxford’s EPSRC IAA provides four main types of small grant support:
1. Partnerships [call closed]: grants to accelerate impact through increased engagement of Oxford researchers with end-users of the research in non-academic organisations. We are particularly keen to encourage Early Career Researchers (this includes doctoral students and post-doctoral researchers at any stage of their career) to be involved in visits, short secondments, collaborations through this scheme. Partnership projects are typically six to twelve months long and around £30k-£75k in value.
2. Impact fund / Technology fund [call closed]: supports (i) Technology Development Grants, to develop new technologies to the point where they are suitable for follow on support from other sources (e.g. Oxford University Innovation (OUI) translational funding) or for commercial exploitation (e.g. capital investment for spinning out, licensing deals etc.), and
(ii) Impact Delivery Grants to transfer knowledge, whose take-up will provide benefits to users but will not necessarily generate a financial return to the University (e.g. applications for NHS and other public bodies, NGOs, etc.).
Impact/Technology Fund Grants are typically six to twelve months in duration and around £75-100k in value.
For further information on Partnerships or Impact/Technology Fund refer to main guidance document.
3. EPSRC IAA Doctoral Impact Scheme [call closed]: supports and encourages new DPhil graduates to maximise the impact of their research beyond academia through engagement with non-academic partners in industry, healthcare, governmental agencies, local and regional government and other external organisations. It is expected that requested costs for Doctoral Impact projects will not exceed £30k.
DPhil students are eligible to apply for the scheme if:
- their research is within EPSRC research areas (students do not need to have received EPSRC funding)
- they have passed their Confirmation of Status examination
- they are within two terms of submission of their thesis
Impact of the Covid-19 pandemic: It is likely that the pandemic may have disrupted/delayed plans of doctoral students who are at the end of their studies, and this will have delayed their Confirmation of Status examination and submission of thesis. Doctoral students at the end of their studies, are encouraged to apply for IAA support, and where students can provide satisfactory justification, there can be some flexibility in eligibility requirements for this scheme; applicants should email email@example.com or contact (2)82462 to seek clarification. Note: The IAA will not provide bridge funding.
For further information, please refer to the revised Doctoral Impact Fund guidance document
4. Impact workshops: [rolling deadline] grants to support the coordination and delivery of impact-focussed meetings and workshops. This call has a rolling deadline and applications will continue to be accepted until 30 November 2021 or all of the available funding has been allocated.
Funding support: up to £5,000/application.
Impact meetings/workshops should include engagement with non-academic organisations, and should seek to give rise to further knowledge exchange, translational and/or partnership development activities. Applicants are encouraged to be creative in their approach to this funding stream, and examples of activities that may be supported include:
- Identifying challenge areas with non-academic organisations;
- Activities to develop a Responsible Innovation approach, e.g. support towards broader deliberation, dialogue, engagement and debate in an inclusive way;
- Bringing together academic groups to develop solutions to known external problems, e.g. future calls for ISCF, GCRF, etc.;
- Visits/meetings to develop new collaborations with non-academics or non-academic organisations.
For further information on Impact Workshops please refer to the main guidance document
How to apply
Applicants should read the guidance for the relevant scheme thoroughly prior to submitting an application.
Applications for EPSRC IAA funding should be made through the online Internal Research Awards Management System (IRAMS) which can be accessed at https://irams.ox.ac.uk/, using your Single Sign-On (SSO) details. Once you are logged in, please choose the correct scheme from the list to start your application. If required, IRAMS guidance in the form of quick reference guide (QRG) documents for applicants, departmental approvers and administrators can be found on the Research Support pages.
Please note that some departments may have set an earlier internal deadline, so please check with your local research support team and prepare your application well in advance of the date advertised above. Applications must be reviewed online by departmental approvers and, where approved, submitted for review by the assessment panel before the deadline.
If you have a potentially impactful project that falls within EPSRC research areas but does not fit with the IAA Technology Fund or Partnerships scheme, please speak to your department’s Research Facilitator in the first instance.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact (2)82462 with any queries.
Our privacy notice tells you what we are doing with your data and how we will keep it safe. We are processing your data for the purposes listed in the privacy notice only because you have given us consent to do so, by completing and submitting your application form. You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us at email@example.com, or 01865 282462 . In this event, we will stop the processing as soon as we can. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before your withdrawal of consent.
Dates for EPSRC IAA funding calls:
Partnerships Fund, Impact/Technology Fund, Doctoral Impact Fund and Impact Workshops Fund call:
- Call closed: 7 December 2020
- Application deadline: by 16:00, Thursday, 4 February 2021
- Panel meetings: w/c 15 February 2021
Impact Workshops Fund call:
This call has a rolling deadline. Applications will continue to be accepted until 30 November 2021 or all of the available funding has been allocated.