Vice Chancellor's Public Engagement with Research Award winners 2019 announced
11 July 2019
Public Engagement - awards Public Engagement - news
In a glitzy awards ceremony in a packed lecture theatre in Keble College, the winners of the VC PER Awards were announced - featuring two awards for MPLS researchers - and three more highly commended awards.
The awards ceremony is a biennial celebration of excellence in public engagement. This year there were 15 winners across three categories, from around 60 nominations!
The MPLS winners were:
- Professor Alan Barr and Professor Chris Lintott (Physics) won a project award for the Higgs Hunters citizen science project.
- Dr Becky Smethurst (Physics) won an Early Career Researcher Award for her YouTube channel, Dr Becky.
There was also honourable mention for:
- Tanesha Allen (Zoology) for schools engagement with badger research
- Joshua Bull (Maths) for the 'Dimensions' exhibition with the Ashmolean
- Dr Sam Henry (Physics) for My Little Pony Fan Fiction
You can see all winners here.
The awards will next take place in 2021.
What to read next
A new scheme for researchers and academics to take on a leadership role in a culture change project within their departments and faculties to enhance support for Public Engagement with Research (PER). The programme includes training and funding.
25 June 2019
The Breakfast Evaluation Club is an informal drop-in to discuss all things PER evaluation. No need to register, just pop by for advice on how to get started, evaluating a specific project, feedback on evaluation plans or to discuss your evaluation challenges. Tea/ coffee and croissants provided.