Remit of the scheme
Grants from the Lockey Bequest are limited "to the interest of science" without regard to departmental/faculty membership. The Lockey Committee will consider applications from all departments/units in the Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences division (MPLS) and Medical Sciences division (MSD).
To qualify for support, a conference/workshop/meeting should be ‘open’ rather than restricted to a small number of people by special invitation only. If the applicant has been invited by an international programme committee or similar to present a talk, for example, this is also defined as ‘open’.
Grants can be requested up to the following amounts depending on event region:
- Europe – up to £500
- Rest of the World – up to £1,000
For the purposes of the Fund, Israel, Russia, and all countries bordering on the Mediterranean, are considered to be part of Europe.
The committee does not provide funds for:
- Taught courses including summer schools (either for teachers or students).
- Travel within the UK.
- Visits abroad to plan research.
- Costs associated with conducting research.
- Attending events focused on clinical practice (i.e. not disseminating clinical/medical research).
- Registration fees (including for virtual conference attendance)
- Travel (including covering carbon offsetting for air travel*)
- Subsistence/meals during travel
- Car mileage
*Support to cover a carbon offsetting scheme is seperate from the University travel levy.
Costs are claimed by the University Expense Claim process therefore only costs that abide by this policy may be reimbursed by the Fund.