Clarifying Expectations and Establishing Good Communications
- How much direction do you expect from your supervisor?
- How much direction does your supervisor expect to exert over your research?
Knowledge and Skills
- Would you rather find things out on your own, or would you prefer to be taught by your supervisor?
- How do you prefer to learn – for example by yourself, with other people, by going on courses? How does your supervisor prefer to help you develop your skills?
- Which skills do you have and which skills does your supervisor expect you to have?
Time Management and Meetings
- How often do you expect to meet with your supervisor?
- How much does s/he expect from you?
Feedback and Constructive Criticism
- How often do you expect input or feedback from your supervisor?
- What are your supervisor’s expectations?
- How quickly do you expect your supervisor to provide feedback on work that you have submitted for review?
- How quickly does your supervisor anticipate being able to provide feedback?
Communication between Meetings
- Does your supervisor prefer to communicate by telephone or e-mail?
- How quickly do you expect a response to an email or phone message?
Expectations for Written Work
- Does your supervisor expect to receive your work all at once, or in smaller chunks?
- Does s/he expect drafts to be "works in progress" or fairly polished pieces almost ready for publication?
- At what intervals does your supervisor expect you to submit work?
- Would your supervisor prefer to receive documents in hard copy, or electronically?
Adapted from McGill University
Research Supervision @ Oxford