MPLS Division Equality and Diversity Steering Group: Terms of Reference
Terms of Reference
- To advise the Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences (MPLS) Divisional Board and General Purposes Committee on all areas of equality and diversity work in relation to staff and students.
- To guide and provide oversight of divisional strategy on equality and diversity matters, identifying main areas where divisional policies and initiatives can be established or enhanced to support a range of underrepresented groups across the staff and student body.
- To serve as a channel for departments to raise equality and diversity related issues where they feel they could benefit from divisional support.
- To share and disseminate good workplace practices (relating to progressing equality and diversity) developed in departments, across the division.
- To oversee the progress of departments in submitting applications for ED&I related awards and recognition, such as Athena Swan awards; including reading and commenting on award applications when requested by departments.
- To feed divisional perspectives into the University’s ED&I work, including into institutional applications for the Race Equality Charter Mark and renewal of the institutional Athena Swan Charter Mark, and central University ED&I related committees as appropriate.
- To oversee the co-ordination and approval of bids for any funding opportunities that may arise associated with ED&I matters.
The membership of this steering group will draw from ED&I Chairs across the ten MPLS academic departments, as well as administrative, researcher, and student representatives.
Members will serve for a term of three years where possible (with the exception of ED&I Fellows who have one-year terms). The steering group is chaired by the MPLS Associate Head (People).