Scientific writing: core skills (in-person)
Dr David Jones
All Communications Confidence DPhil students Research staff Writing skills
Tuesday, 14 November 2023, 9am to 5pm
This one day course provides a sound grounding in the core skills needed to produce accurate and effective scientific writing.
The course will include:
- Critique of readability in relevant papers.
- Use of tenses in academic papers.
- Writing with impact.
- Concise writing.
- Grammar and proof reading.
- Scientific table and chart technique.
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Develop understanding of the characteristics of scientific writing; write in simple, clear and concise scientific English.
- Develop knowledge of how to write grammatically correct English.
- Improve proof reading skills; organise the sections of a scientific paper effectively.
- Develop a scientific argument with appropriate language that conveys the message effectively.
- Make effective use of charts and tables.
Previous participants have said
"It was a great resource to improve on my writing skills overall. The exercises were good and broke up the day to shift our concentration."
"I found the exercises fun and really useful as they helped to take in what we were learning."
All DPhil students and postdoctoral researchers.
Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
NUMBER OF PLACES
Dr David Jones
14th November 2023 | 09.00 - 17.00
Book your place on Scientific Writing: Core Skills by clicking here.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
When registering for this course, please check our Terms and Conditions.
A1, B3, D2
The Researcher Development Framework (RDF) provides a framework for planning and supporting the personal, professional and career development of graduate students and research staff. See the the following for more details:
The Researcher Development Framework page
The Researcher Training Tool (click on Researcher Development)
Vitae (Vitae is a national organisation dedicated to realising the potential of researchers through supporting their professional and career development.)