Preparing to Negotiate
This course will help you lay the foundations for effective negotiations. It will help you recognise your own motivations and preferences, and explore what you need and want from various situations. You’ll have the opportunity to practice with alternative perspectives, prepare personal strategies that cultivate courage and play to your own strengths. The focus is on preparing yourself so that you feel empowered to negotiate should you choose to.
For some the prospect of any kind of negotiation is daunting so this session is designed to help you identify and overcome the obstacles you perceive, build you confidence, and provide strategies to help you prepare effectively for any negotiation.
Engaging with this workshop will enable you to:
- Define and articulate your needs and objectives before starting to negotiate
- Benchmark the value of your work, skills, knowledge and other aspects
- Appreciate why negotiation my feel uncomfortable ( and what you could do about it)
- Consider the costs and benefits of negotiating, and manage the risks to increase the advantages
- Cultivate your capacity to appreciate the other party’s point of view and practice assertive dialogue
- Feel better prepared to negotiate with a deeper understanding of your objectives and what you can offer
DPhil students and research staff who would like to do some preparation work before attending the Negotiating Skills course.
NUMBER OF PLACES
Dr Sarah Robins-Hobden of Robins-Hobden Consulting
date / time and booking information
Information about the next scheduled course, and how to apply for a place, are in our course programme. If it isn't currently appearing in the course programme, please keep checking back.
A2, A3, B1, B2, D1
The Researcher Development Framework (RDF) provides a framework for planning and supporting the personal, professional and career development of graduate students and research staff.
Vitae (Vitae is a national organisation dedicated to realising the potential of researchers through supporting their professional and career development.)