Free course: Become a Better Presenter: Improve Your Public Speaking Skills
19 October 2020
Public Engagement - training Training and development
FutureLearn is hosting this free three-week course, created by staff at the Royal Observatory Greenwich and the Presenter Network. Learn how to improve your presentation skills (face to face and digitally) and add personality into your presentation style.
This is an online course that you can follow in your own time. This course has been designed to help build confidence regardless of your level of experience. You'll have the opportunity to reflect on your own presentation strengths and weaknesses, learn how to use improvisation and storytelling skills to hone your pitches regardless of your audience, and make use of the expertise of experienced presenters.
- How to identify your presenting strengths and weaknesses.
- How to add personality and life into your presenting style.
- How to engage with your audience whoever that may be from formal meetings to full-blown theatre shows.
- How to sharpen your presenting skills, specifically when it comes to improvisation, storytelling and weaving a narrative through your presentations.
- Activities that will allow you to put the theory you have learned into practice.
- What to do when things go wrong.
What to read next
The Department of Physics recently hosted Dr Martin Archer, Stephen Hawking fellow in space physics and public engagement at Imperial College London to talk about what we know about what factors affect STEM aspirations, what's likely to impact aspirations, before talking through a case study of a project he's been involved in.