A career review and development programme for research staff
Taking stock is a career review and development programme, intended for postdocs who are in process of deciding the direction of their careers. The programme aims to encourage participants to reflect on their achievements, strengths and career aspirations as well as to identify a personal action plan.
Day one of Taking Stock is a career review day that encourages you to reflect on your life/career path to date, achievements, strengths and opportunities to develop as well as produce an action plan.
Day two focuses on personal impact. You will have the opportunity to be filmed and to review this in a supportive group. The day will consider use of room and space, body language, voice, language and tone, working with different audiences and message preparation and delivery.
Day three involves group coaching and personal action planning.
Engaging with this course will enable you to
- understand your values and your strengths
- analyse and appreciate the fit between your current role and your values and strengths
- identify the range of opportunities and pathways open to you (including some that might not be immediately apparent)
- identify the gap between what you do well now and what you will need to learn and do in order to position yourself for the next role
- identify the role of personal impact in achieving personal and career goals
- take away a career and a personal development plan and a commit to a support network to take you forward.
Research staff who wish to review their career and plan next steps
NUMBER OF PLACES
Sharon Neal, Head of People and Organisational Development
DATE/ TIME and booking information
Information about the next scheduled course, and how to apply for a place, are in our course programme. This course will take place during Michaelmas Term. If it isn't currently appearing in the course programme, please keep checking back.
The Researcher Development Framework (RDF) provides a framework for planning and supporting the personal, professional and career development of graduate students and research staff.
Vitae (Vitae is a national organisation dedicated to realising the potential of researchers through supporting their professional and career development.)